I finally tackled a Chicken Parmesan dish. I don’t know why, but I shy away from recipes with more than a few ingredients. I dislike grocery shopping, so having to plan out ingredients for just one dish is a pain. But that’s just me.
Since the ‘Rona has grounded us, I’ve missed our semi-frequent trips to Olive Garden and my usual Chicken Parm. The longer I went without, the stronger the craving got until I couldn’t take it any more. I broke down and made that grocery list I’ve been dreading. It really wasn’t as bad as I thought.
It’s not a fancy dish, but it is very good! Even my husband, who usually does the cooking by the way, thought it was pretty good. A high compliment from the chef. I might even try soft warm garlicky bread-sticks next time!
So if you are tired of your standard stay at home meals and want to add to your recipe repertoire, give this one a try. If you do, I’d love to hear about it.
Easy Chicken Parmesan
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts 2 large cut in half works just as good
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese I used finely shredded (pre-shredded pkg)
- 2 cups marinara sauce or a little more if you like it saucy, but I found 2 cups to be enough
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil optional
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 16 oz spaghetti noodles cooked per package instructions. *Use more or less depending on how much you like noodles!
- Preheat oven to 350
- Lightly grease a baking pan, (I used a glass pan, but not necessary)
- In a shallow bowl, mix together bread crumbs and shredded parmesan cheese
- Coat the chicken with vegetable oil and sprinkle salt and pepper to season
- Toss the chicken in the bread crumb/cheese mixture until completely covered on both sides. Place the chicken in baking pan
- Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes until no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear. Internal tempature of the breast should reach 165 degrees F.
- While chicken is baking, cook the noodles according to instructions on the package and start the marinara sauce.
- Combine marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic in a sauce pan and cook on medium heat until heated through.
- When chicken is done, remove baking pan and change oven to broil
- Top each breast with the marinara sauce mixture and add a slice of mozzarella
- Place pan back into the oven for a few minutes (3 or 4) until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Be careful to not burn the cheese!
- serve over cooked noodles and top with fresh basil (optional)